Saturday, November 5, 2011

Happy Seven Months, Lucas!

Happy seven months, little Boo!

When you are a grown up and read my messages, please don’t think that daddy and I neglected you for three months because there is not a five- or six-month letter. The recurring theme of “no time” since you entered our lives may be getting a bit stale, but this new pace still is throwing me for a loop.
I am kicking myself for not writing to you since August, afraid that I’ve already forgotten some of your milestones. I’m still working on striking the balance between being your mommy, having a full-time office job, being daddy’s wife, and occasionally finding a few moments for myself. I know it will all work out, though. It always does. We’re blessed like that, our family. I try to count those blessings every day. Sometimes I just look at you and stare, thinking, “Are you really my baby?! I actually get to keep you?!” It always fills me with such happiness knowing you’re mine.

Here’s a little play-by-play of where we’re at:
  • You are a sturdy little guy, and can sit up beautifully. You’ve been able to do this pretty well since you were about five-and-a-half-months old.
  • You have been eating solids since you were about five-and-a-half-months old, too. We were going to wait until six months, but you were eyeing our food with so much longing, that we caved. “Cooking” for you has been a ton of fun, and I make all of your food from scratch. So far you’ve tried oatmeal, sweet potatoes, bananas, pears, green beans, avocado, peas, butternut squash and puffed cereal.
  • You eat almost everything with an incredible amount of gusto. You easily put away an entire half of a large Haas avocado or pear for dinner on a regular basis. Sometimes you pound on your high chair and shout for more food in between each bite. And you reject butternut squash with nearly the same amount of passion. You hate it. You throw your head back, scream, and spit it back at us as if your life depended on it. I keep trying to feed it to you, because everything I read says you may change your mind after 15 or so tries. I’m not so sure. It’s hard to calm you down after you taste it, too, and help you realize that we’re moving on to something you actually like. It’s a little ridiculous, really!
  • We give you a sippy cup filled with water at each meal, but you don’t really drink out of it, yet. You mostly just chew on the handles.
  • Even though you really chow down on the solids, your sleep still is hit-and-miss. Some days you sleep for eight- or nine-hours straight. Other nights you’re up every three hours. A little more consistency in this area would be greatly appreciated.
  • Your two bottom teeth cut through right as you turned six-months-old. (One the day before, and one the day after.) This was pretty traumatic for all of us and there were a lot of tears and buckets of drool. Once they were in, though, you calmed down.
  • You vigorously chew on absolutely everything you can grasp. There must be more teeth on the immediate horizon.
  • You are starting to pay more attention when we read to you, and like to turn the pages of the books by yourself. Your favorite book right now is Peek-a-Baby. (Of course, I’m just guessing, but your attention is completely undivided when we read it.)
  • You like to sit independently, grab at your books and play with your own toys. You can do this for about 15 minutes before getting too bored and needing someone to pay more attention to you.
  • You are beginning to consistently use sign language for milk. I didn’t think it was true when daycare told us you could do this, but now it happens almost every time you want to nurse or have a bottle. It’s very cool and I love it! I can’t wait until we can communicate more with you.
  • When you use your voice, it often is in the form of a very, very high pitched squeal or scream. You smile and giggle after you make these screechy noises, so we don’t think you’re upset, although you nearly take out our eardrums with each outburst. We like the soft, sweet babbling you do much better.
  • Daddy and I dressed you as a very adorable monkey for Halloween. I went as a snow leopard, and daddy was our zookeeper. We had a small party at our house and let you stay up much later than usual (it was just too noisy with all the other kids for you to go to sleep). You also got to wear your costume at school in a parade, and have fun with your friends painting pumpkins in your classroom. The other babies got really messy, but daddy had to encourage you to really dive into the paint. You don’t like to be very messy. When you get food on your hands while you’re eating, it seems to bother you a bit, too. In this sense, you are just like your daddy, who I affectionately refer to as Colonel Clean.
  • This past week marked your first real sickness and fever. Daycare called and had us pick you up on Tuesday. You have to be fever-free for 24 hours with no medication before you can go back. It’s Saturday morning now, and your fever finally was gone as of last night. Daddy and I alternated staying home with you and it has not been fun for any of us. You felt so miserable. All I wanted to do was make you feel better, but my bag of magical mommy tricks kept coming up empty. You cried a lot and just wanted to be held, but soon that stopped working and you were inconsolable. In fact, you were so fussy that you bit me twice while nursing. I almost went through the roof because it hurt so bad, and when I yelped, you melted down worse than I’ve ever seen. I hope you get over this behavior quickly.
  • This morning you woke up and seemed back to your regular, smiley self. It is such a relief to see you feeling better. You fill our house with a tremendous amount of joy and laughter, and daddy and I can’t imagine life without you. Watching you grow is just awesome, and we can’t wait to see what you do next.
I love you,
Mommy

3 comments:

Emily said...

Little monkey, we're happy you stayed up late so you could spend some QT with Auntie Em and Uncle Curtis on Halloween! Glad you're feeling better!

Missy said...

Happy 7 months sweet little monkey! Hoping to see you again soon.

Jenny said...

Time sure flies! Sounds like you've got it all under control! You and Morgan sure make cute babies!